Each year the Going Green festival allows visitors to challenge their skills at spotting energy foes, planting their own garbage gardens and creating masterpieces of recycled art - all while saving green to be green.
"Throughout the festival, we will have numerous representatives from environmental awareness organizations and businesses. They will be on-hand for demonstrations on a variety of subjects, including native backyard wildlife, energy efficiency, organic foods, clean waterways and more," said Joanna Hahn, Manager of School Programs.
New to the festival will be an Eco Science Fair, as a result of a partnership with Earth Charter Indiana. The fair will feature displays by students from across Indiana whose schools are currently championing green projects. "We want student attendees to get inspired by what their peers are accomplishing that will make them think about what their schools can do to be more green," added Hahn.
Jim Poyser, certified trainer with the Climate Reality Project, will conduct a lecture and demonstration on the connections between carbon emissions, greenhouse gases and extreme weather events, such as the Superstorm Sandy and the great drought of 2012. He will present on Friday and Saturday throughout the event.
Also on Saturday, $2 off general admission will be offered for up to four guests, when items are brought to be recycled with RecycleForce. A list of items that will be accepted can be found here.
The events are included with museum admission and free to members. School group and home school group reservations to the festival are required to receive the $1.50 per student admission fee. Please call to register your class. Classes interested in hearing Jim Poyser speak must let Guest Services know upon making a reservation.
Days & Times
- Courtyard by Marriott Downtown IndianapolisThe 297-room Courtyard by Marriott Downtown Indianapolis, part of Marriott Place Indianapolis,...more
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Downtown IndianapolisPart of the unique Marriott Place, this 156-room hotel is connected by...more
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Downtown IndianapolisConnected by skywalk to the Indiana Convention Center and Lucas Oil Stadium,...more
- JW Marriott IndianapolisIndianapolis' premier convention hotel, the JW Marriott Indianapolis offers 104,000 square feet...more
- Indianapolis Marriott DowntownOffering 622 guest rooms and over 40,000 square feet of meeting space,...more
- The Westin IndianapolisConnected by skywalk to the Indiana Convention Center and Lucas Oil Stadium,...more
- Hyatt Regency IndianapolisFind the level of service you've come to expect from Hyatt at...more
- Residence Inn by Marriott Downtown on the CanalA 134-suite hotel that's more like a home. With several spacious suite...more
- Courtyard by Marriott at the CapitolIt's a new stay! The Courtyard by Marriott Indianapolis at the Capitol...more
- Hilton Indianapolis Hotel & SuitesThis luxury hotel's 332 rooms include 177 of the largest suites in...more
- Embassy Suites Indianapolis DowntownOur all suite hotel near Indianapolis Motor Speedway includes newly renovated and...more
- Conrad IndianapolisFrom the heated front drive, through the marble and crystal lobby, to...more
- Canal Cafe & Terrace at Indiana State MuseumLocated in the Indiana State Museum, this cafeteria-style restaurant offers family dining...more
- L.S. Ayres Tea Room at Indiana State MuseumThere's no stopping a determined tea room. When downtown Indianapolis' L.S. Ayres...more
- TGI Friday's at Fairfield Inn/Marriott PlaceThe brand new T.G.I. Friday's Indianapolis Downtown offers a casual and friendly...more
- Eiteljorg Museum Cafe at the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western ArtSky City Cafe at the Eiteljorg Museum features a distinctive menu prepared...more
- Tavern on the Plaza at JW Marriott IndianapolisIndulge in open air dining in Indianapolis at Tavern on the Plaza,...more
- High Velocity at JW Marriott IndianapolisExperience a high-tech Indianapolis sports bar. Enjoy quality food and beverages while...more
- Osteria Pronto at JW Marriott IndianapolisEnjoy Indianapolis fine dining at our Italian bistro restaurant. Inspired by Tuscany,...more
- Champions Sports Bar and Restaurant at Indianapolis Marriott DowntownConveniently located inside the Indianapolis Marriott Downtown hotel, the Champions menu features...more
- Circle City Bar & Grille at Indianapolis Marriott DowntownAn upscale American grille offering a casual atmosphere with exceptional regional cuisine...more
- Starbucks at the Indianapolis Marriott DowntownAmerica's favorite purveyor of coffee and tea specialties is available to start...more
- Loughmiller's Pub & EateryEnjoy one of Indy's best independently owned pubs. Sample our full bar...more
- No Name Lounge at The Westin IndianapolisUpscale over-21 lounge housed in The Westin Indianapolis.more
- IMAX TheaterThere are larger-than-life experiences. And then, there are larger than larger-than-life experiences....more
- Indiana State Museum Gift ShopVisit the two-story museum gift shop and discover unique gifts for friends,...more
- Congressional Medal of Honor MemorialCreated by artists Eric Fulford and Ann Reed of ROAMworks, this artwork--a...more
- Segway of Indiana, LLCSegway of Indiana is an authorized Segway Tour Provider. Hour long tours...more
- Sculpture in the ParkInitiated in 1999, Sculpture in the Park is an exhibition that showcases...more
- The TentIts colorful panels interacting with wind and light, this stainless steel structure...more
- Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians & Western Art located in White River State ParkFounded by collector Harrison Eiteljorg, the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and...more
- Richard and Billie Lou Wood Deer FountainPortraying whitetail deer running through water, this cast bronze artwork by Kenneth...more
- CardinalCombining an aluminum exterior with a steel infrastructure, this 2010 artwork by...more
- Frank and Katrina Basile Museum Store at the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western ArtThe Frank and Katrina Basile Museum Store offers Native American and Western...more
- NCAA Hall of Champions Campus Corner Gift ShopCampus Corner is the only place you can get officially licensed NCAA...more
- NCAA Hall of Champions and Conference Center located in White River State ParkGet your hands on 23 sports and experience the heart and dedication...more