The Indianapolis Zoo (one of the nation's Top 10, according to TripAdvisor) includes over 350 different animal species on its nearly 70 acres.
The new International Orangutan Center opens in May, 2014, and promises to be one of the world's most important zoo exhibits. Meet Azy, Knobi, Lucy, and their friends up close and personal on the ground and in the air via the SkyRide.
The zoo's Oceans exhibit features the world's largest shark touch tank; while the Dolphin Adventure offers the world's first totally submerged dolphin viewing experience (and, if you pre-register, an opportunity to climb into the tank).
The Indianapolis Zoo complex also includes a 3.3-acre garden, which features hundreds of plant varieties; which, when you think about it, is just a zoo with more chlorophyll.
In addition to exhibiting and breeding animals, the Indianapolis Zoo contributes to zoology by awarding an annual cash award of $100,000 to individuals who have made extraordinary contributions to conservation efforts. Known as the Indianapolis Prize, it is the world's leading award for animal conservation.
Parking costs $6.
Hours and Costs
Jan.-Feb.: Wed.-Sun., 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Mar. 1-29: daily 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Mar. 30-May 24: Mon.-Thurs., 9 a.m.-4 p.m.; Fri.-Sun., 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
May 25-Sept. 3: Mon.-Thurs., 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Fri.-Sun. and holidays, 9 a.m.-7 p.m.
Sept. 4-Oct. 31: Mon.-Thurs., 9 a.m.-4 p.m.; Fri.-Sun., 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Nov. 1-21: Wed.-Sun., 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Nov. 23-Dec. 30: Weds.-Sun., noon-9 p.m.
Closed on June 8 for Zoobilation, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve and Day, New Year's Eve and Day.
Dec. 24-30: noon-9 p.m. Closed Christmas Eve and Day and New Year's Eve and Day.
Read a Blog
Sneak Peek: Flights of Fancy at the Indianapolis Zoo
view more blogs
Friday, May 25, 2012
Beauty and the Beast: New Exhibits at the Indianapolis Zoo
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Watch a Video
Bowling for Rhinos
$2 off admission to the Indianapolis Zoo
click to print
- JW Marriott IndianapolisIndianapolis' premier convention hotel, the JW Marriott Indianapolis offers 104,000 square feet...more
- Courtyard by Marriott Downtown IndianapolisThe 297-room Courtyard by Marriott Downtown Indianapolis, part of Marriott Place Indianapolis,...more
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Downtown IndianapolisPart of the unique Marriott Place, this 156-room hotel is connected by...more
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Downtown IndianapolisConnected by skywalk to the Indiana Convention Center and Lucas Oil Stadium,...more
- Indianapolis Marriott DowntownOffering 622 guest rooms and over 40,000 square feet of meeting space,...more
- Comfort Suites Indianapolis City CentreConveniently located near the Indiana Convention Center and Lucas Oil Stadium (and...more
- Staybridge Suites Indianapolis City CentreExtended stay hotel located adjacent to Lucas Oil Stadium features 113 suites...more
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Indianapolis City CentreConveniently located just one block south of the Indiana Convention Center &...more
- The Westin IndianapolisConnected by skywalk to the Indiana Convention Center and Lucas Oil Stadium,...more
- Residence Inn by Marriott Downtown on the CanalA 134-suite hotel that's more like a home. With several spacious suite...more
- Courtyard by Marriott at the CapitolIt's a new stay! The Courtyard by Marriott Indianapolis at the Capitol...more
- Hyatt Regency IndianapolisFind the level of service you've come to expect from Hyatt at...more
- Dog 'n Suds at the Indianapolis ZooHoosier favorites are featured at Dog 'n Suds, located in the commons...more
- Edy's Ice Cream Shoppe at the Indianapolis ZooGet frozen treats in the summertime at this dining spot near the...more
- Cafe on the Commons at the Indianapois ZooThe primary food service location at the Zoo is the Cafe on...more
- Flora Cafe at the Indianapolis Zoo's White River GardensWhen you visit the Indianapolis Zoo's White River Gardens, stop by the...more
- The Outpost at the Indianapolis ZooGrab a quick lunch next to the Splash Park presented by Kroger....more
- DeeGusto'sHome cooked, fresh Southern comfort food.more
- Tavern on the Plaza at JW Marriott IndianapolisIndulge in open air dining in Indianapolis at Tavern on the Plaza,...more
- High Velocity at JW Marriott IndianapolisExperience a high-tech Indianapolis sports bar. Enjoy quality food and beverages while...more
- Osteria Pronto at JW Marriott IndianapolisEnjoy Indianapolis fine dining at our Italian bistro restaurant. Inspired by Tuscany,...more
- Eiteljorg Museum Cafe at the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western ArtSky City Cafe at the Eiteljorg Museum features a distinctive menu prepared...more
- L.S. Ayres Tea Room at Indiana State MuseumThere's no stopping a determined tea room. When downtown Indianapolis' L.S. Ayres...more
- Canal Cafe & Terrace at Indiana State MuseumLocated in the Indiana State Museum, this cafeteria-style restaurant offers family dining...more
- Gardener's Pride Gift ShopThe Indianapolis Zoo's White River Gardens shop carries garden supplies, gardening apparel,...more
- The Indianapolis Zoo StoreThe Indianapolis Zoo Store offers visitors an exciting and constantly changing mixture...more
- Indianapolis Zoo's White River GardensThe Indianapolis Zoo complex includes the 3.3-acre White River Gardens, which features...more
- BisonFashioned by artist William E. Arnold in 1989, this barbed-wire sculpture was...more
- IU Michael A. Carroll Track & Soccer StadiumLocated on the campus of Indiana University Purdue University in downtown Indianapolis,...more
- Indiana University Natatorium at IUPUIOpen to the public, the world-class facility offers year-round programs including learn-to-swim...more
- TotemThis 1982 stainless steel and concrete sculpture by Rinaldo Paluzzi stands near...more
- Canal & White River State Park DistrictWhether it's a relaxing stroll, vigorous run, day at the ballpark, interacting...more
- Wheel Fun Rentals - Bike RentalsOffering a large selection of unique bikes including cruisers, tandems, choppers, deuce...more
- River PromenadeRiver Promenade is White River State Park's hidden treasure. Behind the Indianapolis...more
- White River State Park Visitor Center & Gift ShopThe White River State Park Visitor Center offers up-to-date information about all...more
- Canal WalkThe Canal Walk is part of the Indiana Central Canal, which was...more